Prospective students from foreign countries are required to have a School Certificate or General Certificate of Education. In addition, students from Non-English speaking countries must present a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of at least 500, or a Certificate of Completion from an Intensive English Language Program (IELP) or English as a Second Language (ESL) Program at a regionally accredited American College or University. International freshmen are required to have taken the ACT and may be required to take the Freshman Placement Test.
International Students seeking admission into the United States should submit all required documents 3 to 6 months prior to the semester for which they are seeking admission to the college.
In addition, prior to the I-20 document being issued to the admitted student:
1. The student must pay to Philander Smith College a deposit equal to 100% of a student’s tuition, fees, books, room and board for one semester less any institutional or outside scholarships awarded.
2. The student must also establish a payment plan if a balance for the semester is owed. Payments are due as follows:
40% Due Prior to Issuance of I-20 and prior to the first day of class each subsequent semester
20% Due September 15th (Fall)/ February 15th (Spring)
20% Due October 15th (Fall) / March 15th (Spring)
20% Due November 15th (Fall) / April 15th (Spring)
The I-20 is needed to schedule an appointment with the Consulate’s Office in the student’s home country. The letter of admission to Philander Smith College and the I-20 form will be necessary in order to obtain a student visa.
International Students must submit the following original documents before they can be accepted to the college:
1. An official college application along with the $75.00 non-refundable application fee.
2. School Certificate or General Certification of Education.
3. TOEFL score report or IELP or ESL Certificate of Completion (if applicable).
4. A statement of Embassy Sponsorship or an Affidavit of Support with one semesters full costs received by May 1st The following requirements can be met after you arrive on campus:
1. An ACT or COMPASS score.
2. Immunization Record showing date of two (2) measles and rubella inoculations.
3. A Tuberculosis (TB) skin test