Elementary Education K-6
Aligned with the mission of the College and Division, the mission of the Elementary Education (K-6) Department is to graduate teachers who serve as the FORCE in the teaching/learning process with an understanding of human growth and development, a repertoire of effective teaching strategies, knowledge of best practices and trends, and the capacity to implement developmentally appropriate, integrative and interdisciplinary elementary curriculum. Elementary Education candidates will be prepared to use critical and creative thinking skills to make data-driven decisions. Furthermore, the Department is committed to preparing outstanding educators who will become community, national, and world leaders, promote equity, and model appreciation for diversity in the classroom as advocates for social justice.
GOAL 1: INSTITUTIONALIZE A MODEL OF STUDENT DEVELOPMENT.
• Outcome 1: Demonstrate student-centered pedagogical proficiency.
• Outcome 2: Facilitate a student-centered environment for learning.
GOAL 2: PRODUCE PROFESSIONALS WHO CONSISTENTLY DEMONSTRATE PROFICIENCY OF STATE, NATIONAL, AND EPP CREATED ASSESSMENTS OF PROFESSIONAL STANDARDS FOR EFFECTIVE TEACHING.
• Outcome 1: Demonstrate proficiency in performance of standards for: Arkansas Teaching Standards (ATS; Interstate Teacher Assessment and Support Consortium), Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation Standards (CAEP), and Danielson’s Framework for Teaching.
• Outcome 2: Demonstrate proficiency of Essential Knowledge of the learner and learning, Instructional Practice, and Professional Responsibility.
• Outcome 3: Demonstrate proficiency of critical teacher dispositions.
GOAL 3: FOSTER SKILLS THAT LEAD TO ENGAGEMENT IN LEADERSHIP ROLES BEYOND THE CLASSROOM.
• Outcome 1: Report on instructional team participation
• Outcome 2: Model problem solving strategies
• Outcome 3: Demonstrate decision making
• Outcome 4: Participate in professional and academic opportunities to build collaborative relationships
• Outcome 5: Reinforce oral and written communication skills
GOAL 4: PRODUCE CULTURALLY RELEVANT AND RESPONSIVE TEACHERS
• Outcome 1: Demonstrate principles of social justice in the classroom
• Outcome 2: Demonstrate cultural competence
• Outcome 3: Facilitate Constructivism in the teaching learning process
GOAL 5: PROMOTE THE COLLEGE’S CORE VALUES
GOAL 6: PRODUCE PROFESSIONAL WHO FACILITATE INFORMATIONAL LITERACY
• Outcome 1: Implement models of informational literacy appropriate to formal and informal learning environments