For more admissions information, please click this link: www.philandersmithadmissions.com
To register for New Student Orientation or visit our campus, click here.
How do I apply for Admissions to Philander Smith College?
In order to complete the Requirements for Admissions, a new freshman student must submit the following:
1. Application for Admissions
2. Official high school transcript or GED scores, to be sent directly to the Office of Recruitment & Admissions.
3. A non-refundable Application Fee of $25.00.
4. A copy of your ACT or SAT scores.
5. A copy of your immunization record showing the complete dates of 2 MMRs (Measles, Mumps, and Rubella) vaccinations.
6. Cumulative GPA should be 2.0 or above.
Transfer students must submit:
1. Application for Admissions
2. Official college transcripts of ALL colleges attended.
3. If the transfer student has less than 30 college credit hours, the official high school transcript or GED scores and ACT or SAT test scores must also be submitted.
4. A copy of your immunization record showing the complete dates of 2 MMRs (Measles, Mumps, and Rubella) vaccinations.
5. Cumulative GPA should be 2.0 or above.
International Students seeking admission into the United States should submit all required documents 4 to 6 months prior to the semester for which they are seeking admission to the college.
International Students must also submit the following documents:
- An application form along with a $75.00 non-refundable application fee
- School Certificate or General Certificate of Education
- TOEFL Score Report of at least 500 (paper based), 173 (computerized), or a Certificate of Completion from an Intensive English Language Program (IELP) or English as a Second language (ESL) Certificate of Completion (if applicable)
- Current ACT Scores
- Immunization Record showing dates for two measles, mumps and rubella inoculations. (A tuberculosis (TB) skin test will be given after arrival on campus)
- A Statement of Embassy Sponsorship or an Affidavit of Support and a $4,626.00 cash deposit ($7,286.00 for students living on campus)
Special participants (Unclassified, Non-Degree Seeking) may enroll for classes on a non-credit basis as auditors by paying the per hour audit fee. Any student who attends a class as an auditor may not, at any time, petition for credit - through a proficiency or special examination - for that class. However, the student may, at a later time, register as a regular student in that course.
A student registered in a course for college credit may be granted permission to change their course classification from "credit" to "audit", if the change is made prior to mid-term. However, there will be no refund granted.
Special students can be admitted with submission of the application form and the application fee. Special Students are not eligible for financial aid.
Professional Studies & Continuing Education Admission Requirements (Non-Traditional Students)
- At least 56 credit hours from an accredited college/university (minimum 2.0 GPA/4.0 scale) on all accepted credit (your work experience and/or training may qualify as "credit for prior learning"; discuss your options with a Program Representative)
- Completed Admissions application and payment of a non-refundable $25 application fee
- Receipt of official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended
- Current Immunization Record, including 2 MMRs (Measles, Mumps, and Rubella)
- Completion of a Federal Financial Aid Information Packet
Occasionally, it may be advantageous for a student to enroll for courses at another institution and transfer the credit to Philander Smith College (or vice-versa). If such courses are to be considered for credit by Philander Smith College, approval must be obtained from the major professor for major requirements; and the Registrar, for General Education Requirements, prior to registering for the course(s). Additionally, a Transient Student Form must be filed with the PSC Registrar's Office. The total number of hours earned shall not exceed the maximum number of semester hours acceptable at Philander Smith College during a given term.
Transient (currently enrolled at another college or university who wish to take concurrent hours or register for summer school) students must submit the following:
- A Transient Form or a "Letter of Good Standing" from the school in which they are enrolled
- A PSC Application Form
- The Application Fee
Transient students are not eligible for financial aid.
Veterans are expected to process their applications in the same manner as regular admission students. For assistance in processing Veterans Administration applications, a veteran should confer with the Registrar's Office as early as possible by calling (501) 370-5220.
Office of Recruitment & Admissions Staff
David Page, Vice President for Enrollment Management
Al Dorsey, Director of Recruitment and Admissions
International and Arkansas
Paul Person, Assistant Director of Recruitment
Greg Douthard, Assistant Director of Admissions
(West and East)
D'Andrea Magee, Admissions Counselor
Cathy Young, Office Manager