Preparing for a Career Fair
Follow these EASY steps
to succeed at a career fair or any other networking event!
Before a Career Fair
Register your Account: PantherJobs
- Many companies will conduct interviews after a
fair, so it’s important to have your account up and running
Finalize your Resume
- Critique! Critique! Critique! Have plenty
available to give out
- Participate in Walk-In Advising – no appt
Do your Company Research!
- Review the career fair Company List online and
link to each company’s website – take notes!
During a Career Fair
Dress for Success
- Professional Dress is MANDATORY and strictly
enforced (TO WIN)!
- Review Professional Dress Cards guidelines
Women Casual / Women Professional / Men Casual / Men Professional
- Give yourself enough time to visit all your
top companies but remain flexible enough to visit others
- Never leave a
booth without the recruiter’s business card!
- Don’t wait for recruiters to pull it out of
you – show them what you have to offer!
- Use your research – tell them something
interesting you learned about their company (recruiters love this)
Dress for Success
- Dark, solid or pin-striped suit (navy, black,
- Conservative tie and shirt
- Shined, dark shoes
- Over the calf socks that match pants
- Appropriate Dress Card: Men's Professional
- Appropriate Dress Card: Men's Casual
- Suit (pant or skirt) in a solid color with no
extreme slits, necklines, or hemlines
- Limit jewelry and accessories
- Clean nails and no chips if polished
- Closed-toe shoes and match stockings to suit
- Appropriate Dress Card: Women's Professional
- Appropriate Dress Card: Women's Casual
- Avoid perfume or cologne
- Clothing and accessories should not distract
- Good hygiene and grooming
Need help getting these
types of clothes?
(501) 291-0877 for more information!
After a Career Fair
- Send a Thank You Note – make sure they
remember you! Remember to always be professional.
- Do they require you to fill out an online
application? Is there testing involved?
On Campus Interviews
- Are they interviewing? If so, get on their
When in Doubt
- Visit the Career Services Center to have your
resume critiqued: M-Thurs, 10am-4:30pm, NO APPOINTMENT NECESSARY
- Attend a Career Services sponsored event
- Schedule a Mock Interview to hone your
Career Services Center Contact Info:
Vashon H. Broadnax
of Career Services
Center for Student Services
Philander Smith College
900 W. Daisy L. Gatson Bates Drive
Little Rock, AR 72202